Sunday, August 18, 2013

In Search of a great Phonics Program UPDATED

         So as I went through our curriculum this weekend and began my lesson plans for week 2, I realized I was needing to add something to Ashley's phonics program.  I have been working with her on the letter sounds for some time and she has them down.  I needed to find something that would help me move her to the next step.  After talking to my neighbor (who happens to be one of my best friends, fellow homeschooler and a tutor specializing in reading. Aren't I lucky?) she mentioned having her start to work on blending the letters together to make words.  After searching for a program that would work for us I found Progressive Phonics.  I am going to try a few of the readers with Ashley to see how she does with them.  Another phonics program I am going to try is Stairway to Reading  I like that this program seems more hands on that the Progressive Phonics program.  Stairway to Reading is very interactive and game oriented.  I think it will work better than just reading through the readers.  But I do like that the readers are easy and she would enjoy them as well.  I guess in all my rambling what I am saying is that I will be trying to new programs and will let you know what I think as we use each one.  
       I would love to hear of any great programs you love. 
      Ashley uses ABCMouse.com as well and does great with it.  She loves to work on her learning path and learns something new everyday.  I know it offers something in the way of phonics but I like to have a bit more of a hand in it. 
That's all for now.

Edit:
  So we tried the progressive phonic and Ashley was not very impressed.  I am sure it would work for someone but she likes things a little more hands on at this point.  We had a lot of fun with the Stairway to Reading approach with the interactive games and such but we still wanted a bit more so we decided to order Explode the Code 1.  Ashley is loving using this book.  They made it so easy for her to follow with little to no direction from me (which makes her little independent heart so happy) 

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment